Friday, April 01, 2005

F.O.D.: Food for the soul

Last night C and I saw Saf in perfomance - the show was great! I felt moved in some of the pieces (like the dance to "Ain't no sunshine") and it got me thinking - how do people create a dance? I mean, how do they hear a sound and decide which way to move in space and how to make many people move in space to create a feeling... it intrigues me.
I'm getting that hungry feeling - that feeling that I get when I feel as though I should be doing much more than I am - and I don't mean school work, I mean expressing, communicating, connecting. that inspired feeling that you get when you want to change the world - do you know what I mean?
the rainbow connection -
"I've heard it too many times to ignore it, it's something I'd like to be.... someday we'll find it -
the rainbow connection -
the lovers, the dreamers and me" Kermit the Frog

perhaps I'll find it.
tulip

1 comment:

sappho said...

it's so true, talibah talibah - dancing IS food for the soul. at least, it's food for my soul. it's what keeps me alive; and i feel most alive when i dance.
i just thought i would tell you what happens when i create a dance (for everyone has a different method, or different way of creating movement, as i've discovered over my (albeit few) years.) i find when i hear music that i instinctively want to move. so for me, dancing is really a deep and primal response to music. if i hear drums my body goes nuts. i actually get really upset if i can't dance when i hear music - it feels very wrong to stand still. the music often dictates the kinds of moves my body wants to do - i.e. jazzy = syncopated movements alternating with flowing movements; stuff like the music i danced to @ FOD = more magical, eerie, cirque-du-soleil-ish stuff. is this coherent? in any case, it's all about the music for me, and the emotional release that is connected through my body moving to sound. i'm so glad you came to my dance show tulip. it made me happy to see you there :) see you soon, (i have to return your cake plates) love, saf (the other one!!)