Sunday, January 16, 2005

I hate evil surface talk

Let me take a moment to tell you a little about evil-surface-talk (e.s.t.) (a.k.a weather talk). I suppose in simple terms it can refer to talking (incessantly) about the weather, though it is by no means restricted to such - it includes talking about school, work, food, movies - especially (infact, specifically) when this is not what is foremost on one's mind. The reason I consider it "evil" is for this very reason. so many times we fail to connect because we are too afraid, or because social norms dictate that for the sake of universal comfort and "politeness" we avoid certain subjects of emotion and any matter too close to the heart. I do not mean that I believe that we should tell any and everyone everything, everytime there's something on our mind, but I've found that I often go so far in the opposite direction that at times some of my closest friends have claimed not to "know me - really" (what's with that? *rant for another day*). I suppose, the impetus for this rant came recently when I actually wanted to say something - real - (n.b "real" is the opposite of "surface") but could not for various reasons, and so had to resort to e.s.t. which pained me so. at times I'd almost rather not speak at all than participate in e.s.t. ...

No comments: