Thursday, January 12, 2006

Elections

hiho
so my birthday was this weekend. I had a great celebration of it - thanks to C, Sappho, Tony and mS. And then K came home and threw me a "surprise" "party" (in quotes because it wasn't really a surprise and the "party" consisted of us two : )). but I had a great time and she made me an amazing MOIST cake with 23!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! candles (best box cake so far roommate!)

Today however, I'd like to write on a slightly more somber topic.
Over the weekend, while K was away, I witnessed the death of her microwave. Poor beloved microwave was on it's last legs and we didn't even know it...

I must admit, I feel somewhat guilty as I had been calling it names and criticizing it harshly (one day it took 1 minute to warm up a pastry - one minute!!! most units take 8 seconds... but we should speak well of the departed), yet unbeknownst to me, the little guy was actually doing us a service beyond the call of duty - he had, infact, survived beyond his allotted time, probably outliving many of those that came after him... he was 18 years old....!
I'm not even kidding you.
I had unplugged microwave (let's call it Mike - I feel he's been around so long that he deserves a name) in order to wipe him down. I'm pretty sure that I didn't get any water into any integral parts, but when I plugged him back in his screen never moved from RESET and the key pad had stopped working. That's all that happened - I promise - I'm sure that K suspected foul play at first because I had displayed such animosity towards Mike - But I hold that I had only the best intentions of making him cleaner. anyways - when K turned him around in an effort to find his unit number (she was checking out possible problems on the internet) we saw the dates and (as they say) - the truth was in the numbers. Our dear Mike was born (manufactured) in 1988. He would have turned 18 this year.... if only he had lasted a few more weeks he would have been able to vote in our Federal Elections on the 23rd! It would have been his first opportunity. K and I feel great sorrow at this missed chance....
anyways, we both agree that he lived a good life and worked hard. So I'll take this opportunity to say - may you rest in peace, Mike.
tulip

No comments: