Friday, May 16, 2008

rainbow connection

"I'm wishing on a star.
to follow where you are...."

I've been thinking about that song a lot recently because I think I saw a falling star on Monday... and that song immediately came to mind. I never really knew the words but I always sang
"I wish on all the rainbows that I see
I wish on all the people we ever meet"

I like my version - because it applies to what I'm about to say.
I do wish on rainbows. I love where I live right now because in the rainy season I see soo many rainbows - one week I saw one every day for 5 days!
But this wishing on stars, or wishing on rainbows thing is something I'd like to clarify - it's not a belief in fate, or the stars. It's not a wish into the future - or even the past - it's a wish into the present. A realisation of the potential of everything around us. So much potential: in the people we meet, in the sky, in the day.
the Psalms (118:24) says

"This is the day that the Lord has made - let us rejoice and be glad in it"

We can say that of every day. It reaffirms that somewhere - in this day there is a reason to rejoice. And if we can't find one - let's rejoice because God made it!

A rainbow reminds me of this - reminds me that in a bunch of random water particles mixed with light - this thing of immense beauty is created.
Just think about the stars - millions of light-years away (in space and time), balls of fiery rock - twinkling in our night sky.
Today it's 4 days till full moon - my heart beats to think of it, and I observe the moon growing (glowing) every day until then.

The Lord has placed beauty in so many places in His creation.

Let's look for it and enjoy it.

No comments: